Friday, November 4, 2011

METALSMITHING - WEEK 8 WITH JO AT THE APPALACHIAN ROCK SHOP

We are getting down to the wire now with one project left and two weeks to complete it!   I was excited to have completed the layered metal ring this week!  We hammered it into a C-shape on the ring mandrel, using a leather mallet.  Then, using the pliers, we then the ends together and held the ring up to the light looking for gaps.  For a good solder, we needed the ends to be flush.  Some additional filing was completed and  the piece was made ready for soldering.  The ring was fluxed and pinned to the fire brick seam side up.  The solder was a success, the piece cleaned, sanded and polished!  And this is the final result.  For my first ring, I think it came out pretty well!   I actually had someone ask me to make them one just like it!  What a great compliment!  I know I still have so much to learn to refine the skills I am learning, but it's going to be a wonderful adventure!  Here is a picture of the ring!



Our next and last project - a bezel set ring - I picked out my stone, an oval agate (cut and polished by one of the other students here).  I am in love with this beautiful stone and the lovely earthtones creating a beautiful piece of art!  Our instructor, Jo, went over the fundamentals of choosing bezel wire, sizing it around the stone, marking and cutting.  Following her lead, this was accomplished and the  bezel was readied for soldering.  There was a small amount of overlap, so some filing was done to make sure the bezel would sit flush to the back plate for the next soldering step.  This was all we had time for today - but we accomplished a lot in our three hours!  Here are photos of the stone and bezel and the back plate we will be using in the next step!  We are working with sterling silver and I decided to keep it pretty simple for my first project!  More next week.  Thanks for looking.   Feel free to leave a comment! 




2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Beautiful! I want one, too. So proud of the jewelry artist I knew you could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeanne! You are my second request - I must get some new tools!!! Guess I'll get to work on my Christmas list! :)

    ReplyDelete